Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Week 8 EOC: TED Talk Life Hack

In this TED Talk a game designer named Jane talked about how gaming can actually help you earn 10 more years of life. Many people especially parents feel that games can rot a child's brain, but Jane has a pretty good argument. She addresses that there are 5 top regrets that people have when they are about to die and those are: 
1. I wish I hadn't worked so hard
2. I wish I had stayed in touch with friends
3. I wish I had the courage to live a happier life
4. I wish I expressed my true self
5. I wish I lived true to my dreams instead of what people expected from me

Jane stated how these regrets can directly relate to what games provide to people, which are:
1. Spent more time with family
2. Social games help you stay in contact with friends
3. 30 minutes a day of online gameing can help boost your mood and long term happiness
4. Aviators can be used to express yourself (alter ego) you will become more courageous, brave, and creative.
5. Overall you will be living a happier life and have the drive to do anything you want

Playing games creates more optimism, more creativity, and helps you battle challenges. Makes you feel stronger, braver, and better understood by friends and family and most of all makes depression vanish.
Scientist have found that there is such thing as Post Traumatic Growth- which can be developed to lead happier lives. They have found that after someone has been through something tragic that they have a new look at life. It can help us unlock our ability to live without regrets

Top 5 trails of Post Traumatic Growths 
1. Priorities have changed, not afriad to do what makes me happy.
2. Feel closer to friends and family
3. Understand myself better, know who I really am
4. New sense of meaning and purpose
5. I'm better able to focus on my goals and dreams.

Here are the 4 ways that you can build up resilience against regret:
1. Physical resilience (It improving lungs, brain, and heart)
2. Mental resilience (Improves your will power)
3. Emotional (ability to trigger positive emotions) 3 positive emotions over 1 negative in one hour
4. Social resilience (more strength through friends family. Boost Trust hormone.)

It is studied and backed up by numbers that if you excerise these 4 types of resilience regularly you will live 10 years longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment